Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Saturday's dinner was a delicious batch of meat pies. Oh, I'm so thrilled to have found the perfect pastry crust recipe. It really just makes anything fantastic. And I'm so much more likely to make fancy pastry desserts now that I know I can churn out a reliably phenomenal crust every time.

So. We made meat pies with lamb, they were tasty, people fought over the leftovers. The end!

The next night I made Indian saffron-cardamom rice pudding (kheer) which was also tasty but unloved by my brother, unadventurous youth that he is.

Sunday I called lots of people. I re-contacted my three restaurants, getting a definitive "We're not hiring" from Petros, which, great, now I don't have to think about them anymore, and they were my last choice, and leaving direct messages for the head chefs at the other two, which is farther than I've gotten before. So yay progress! And my mother talked to her friend CT who runs her favorite wine bar and is close with the head chef at Patrick's Side Street Cafe, arguably the best restaurant in town, and he said that working for Patrick would probably be just fine, despite his bipolar and unpredictable nature around his customers. Apparently he's a good guy to work for, and I wouldn't have any trouble getting a recommendation from him or anything, which is what my mom was worried about. He's also definitely the most qualified chef; he trained at the CIA, and I think he was an instructor or a demonstration chef there for a spell. So I'll be dropping off my resume over his soon. And hoping.

I also called my credit card company, because despite following the proper official channels for an address change, I have not received my bill for this month, which is infuriating. I would just like to pay it and be done! But when I called, they hadn't changed my address. So I tried to change the address with the Visa company, but they apparently couldn't take the information from me over the phone; it had to be sent to them from my bank. I changed my address at the Oberlin branch of the Ohio Educational Credit Union, but I needed to have the main office send the info to the Visa company. Which, apparently, they did, after I called and explained. So I'm going to call the Visa company soon to make sure they have the right info and are sending me my bill before it's due sometime in the next week. Pfft. This being a financially responsible adult thing is more trouble than it's worth.

Dinner last night was a fantastic rosemary-clementine roast chicken with root mash and salad. And then I craved dessert but we had nothing (and I'm still on that refined sugar fast) so I used some puff pastry sheets I found in the freezer and made some sort of puff pastry cake layered with a blueberry-maple compote. I also added a spoonful of unsweetened marmalade to the blueberry stuff, which made it so zingy and wonderful. I ate the last chunk for breakfast this morning, albeit sans whipped cream.

Dinner tonight: probably pasta carbonara. We've got all the ingredients, and it's perpetually tasty. I might throw some of the leftover chicken in there too. If I REALLY feel like making it difficult, I'll make my own pasta.

Probably not, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment